Wednesday 22 March 2017

Beauty and the Beast Review

Tres bien
(This review contains minor spoilers!)

          The live-action remakes of animated classics is the latest trend Disney’s attached themselves to. We’ve seen amazing reimaginings of Cinderella and The Jungle Book, as well as not-so-amazing versions of Alice in Wonderland and Sleeping Beauty.

          So when the Mouse House announced that they were next going to adapt a tale as old as time, I was pretty excited! They had a star-studded cast that fit the roles well, the set design looked to be on par with Kenneth Branagh’s incredible Cinderella palaces, and the CGI versions of the classic characters looked surprisingly good. But as the weeks passed and the film’s release grew closer and closer, I can’t deny that I was starting to worry. The 1991 animated version is pretty much unanimously considered to be God-tier Disney. How do you remake a basically perfect movie, one that was the first animated film to be nominated for the Oscar for Best Picture?

          I think the director came up with a good solution to this dilemma. Let me just get this out of the way early: is Beauty and the Beast 2017 better than Beauty and the Beast 1991? No. Not even close. The original is a masterclass in animation, character design and music, with a lot of subtle touches that this movie, being live action, misses out on.

          With that being said, I honestly don’t view Beauty and the Beast 2017 as a remake the same way a film like Jungle Book was. This movie feels more like a Broadway production of the original than anything, honestly. I think the director knew there was no way he could top the original, and with that he decided to put on an entertaining pantomime of the 1991 film instead of changing it around and trying to improve on what’s already legendary.

          Seriously, this movie at times can feel like a shot for shot redo of the animated version. But considering the quality of the source material, I didn’t find it to be much of a problem. This movie isn’t concerned with being something new and different, or even topping what was already great. Instead, it’s trying to be a fun interpretation using some fantastic actors in the familiar roles, and it does a great job of being just that.

          The story is the same one you remember: Belle is considered by her town to be an oddball because she prefers reading to gawking over men, but despite this she’s caught the eye of the local hunter Gaston. But through some confusion she’s whisked away to a mysterious castle out in the woods, where she meets the monstrous Beast and his servants cursed into the forms of household objects. There’s really nothing removed from the story, just a few new tidbits sprinkled in every once and a while for better or for worse. 

          Since we already know the story going in, the real question is how the writers and actors deliver it. Like I said before, the original had a lot of subtle cues in the animation that this version misses out on (I’ll admit I was a little disappointed to find that Belle isn’t the only person in her village that wears blue in this version), but as an interpretation it works well. The script is basically word for word the original at times, but, again, looking at this as rather a pantomime of the original instead of a full-on updating, I think there’s nothing wrong with that.

          The actors, for the most part, do a very good job. There’s really no bad performances in this film, although there are a few that seem a little lackluster compared to the others.

          Easily the highlights are Ewan McGregor, Ian McKellen and Emma Thompson as Lumiere, Cogsworth and Mrs. Potts respectively. While all three performances are clearly inspired by the original characters, these legendary actors are truly able to own the roles. Thompson definitely sounds a lot like Angela Lansbury in this, and McGregor uses an exaggerated French accent not dissimilar to the one Jerry Orbach used in the original. The animation on them is surprisingly good. The characters definitely have a more realistic design compared to their anthropomorphized originals (although the original designs are definitely more memorable), they truly feel alive and they are able to carry emotional scenes.

          Luke Evans is very clearly having a blast playing Gaston, and this shines through in his performance. Yes, he’s not as enormous as his animated counterpart is, but once you spend a few minutes with him it quickly becomes clear that he was the right choice for the part. Gaston is made much nicer in the beginning of the movie, being polite towards Belle in trying to win her affection instead of stomping around in his muddy boots and demanding she marry him. I honestly think this was a change for the better. His transformation from polite but egotistical hunter to lunatic storming up to the castle is portrayed very well by Evans, making him one of the surprise highlights of the movie for me.

          Josh Gad is a fun LeFou, but I do think he was a little underwritten. In the first half of the movie he is essentially the same character from the original with a lot of Gad’s influence added, but midway through he feels like a completely different guy from the one we just spent an hour with. They don’t give him much humour after the first half either, and I was honestly kind of disappointed by that. I felt Gad could’ve made him a really entertaining character, but he was essentially dropped partway through the movie.

          This leads us to our titular Beauty and Beast. Starting with the Beast, I think that Dan Stevens did an excellent job at capturing the warm and fuzzy side of the Beast. He made him an incredibly likable character when he had to be, especially in the second half of the movie. I do think he could’ve done a little better in capturing the darker side of the Beast, though. When compared to the original, this Beast seems more inconvenienced by the curse than tortured by it. I think a few extra scenes of him hanging out in the West Wing with the enchanted rose would’ve gone much further. In the original you start to feel sympathetic for him right after Belle takes her father’s place at the castle, but here it’s not until after he saves Belle from the wolves that we see his softer side. A bit of earlier development for him would’ve made a good interpretation of the character even better.

          As for Emma Watson as Belle, she doesn’t do a bad job by any means. She’s fine for what she is, and she doesn’t give a straight-up bad performance. But for me she’s definitely the lowlight of the movie. She honestly looks bored throughout the whole thing, and this really sticks out when you look at how engaged Luke Evans or Emma Thompson are in their performances. Belle in the original is incredibly expressive in both her movements and her facial expressions, and I don’t think Watson really captured that of the character. I do like that she really captured Belle’s love of reading in her performance and how independent she is, and she still does an overall good job. But still, compared to the rest of the cast I really think she could’ve put in just a bit more effort.

          Moving onto the music, I was very excited to find that legendary Disney composer Alan Menken was making a return to write some new songs for the movie. The new songs are added into scenes like after Beast saves Belle from the wolves and when Belle leaves the castle to save her father, and they work really well in the context of the movie. Being Alan Menken all the songs are definitely up to snuff, adding a lot of emotional resonance to the scenes. I don’t think they’re really songs people will want to listen to over and over again though. They’re not as catchy as the original songs, nor are they the type of thing you’d listen to off a soundtrack.

          Speaking of the original songs, how do they fare? Well, before coming to the movie I did something I rarely do: I listened to the full soundtrack. Horrible, I know, but I just couldn’t resist. And I’ve gotta say…I wasn’t impressed. The songs off the soundtrack just didn’t sound right to me, and a few others I saw online shared that sentiment.

          I’m pleased to say that the music works extraordinarily better when listened to in context with the movie. To call the musical numbers a spectacle to behold would be a huge understatement. Everything from the choreography to the set design works in complete tandem with each other, making classic numbers like “Belle”, “Be Our Guest” and “Gaston” feel brand new. “Be Our Guest” is especially a sight to behold, and as someone who was worried about that scene more than any other I can proudly say that it was my absolute favourite in the movie. Again, none of them top the animated version, but as a live action adaption the numbers truly are the best they can possibly be.

          I did have one problem with the songs, and it was a problem that bothered me throughout the entire film: Emma Watson and Dan Stevens are blatantly auto-tuned. Stevens doesn’t sing much and when he does he’s using his Beast voice, so it’s a little more forgivable, but Watson just plain can’t sing. Again, compared to Luke Evans, Josh Gad or Ewan McGregor who all do exceptional singing performances these two stick out like a sore thumb.

          The last thing I’d like to touch on is the set design, because holy smokes, this movie is beautiful. I don’t know if I’d say it tops Cinderella (I haven’t watched that one in a while so I’d need a refresher), but whoever worked on the castle perfectly captured the dark fantasy atmosphere of the original. I loved how the entrance hall was taken directly from the animated version, and the West Wing was appropriately intimidating. The 3D version truly adds a lot of size and depth to the castle you don’t really get from the original version, and with the addition of a lot of fun classic 3D tricks this is definitely a movie that’s worth the discomfort of those awful glasses.

          Speaking of those glasses, I swear they get worse and worse every time I go to the movies. I’m starting to think they deliberately make them painful just so people won’t want to sneak them out. This isn’t a gripe against the movie, but I just needed to vent about how awful those glasses are. My ears hurt like crazy when I took them off at the end.

          Like I said at the top of my review, I really don’t see Beauty and the Beast as a “remake” of the original, but rather a spectacular pantomime of the original, with fantastic actors taking a beloved script and performing it. And when you look at it like that, I feel that this movie is a fantastic adaption of the original. The actors all gave great performances, the music was delightfully recomposed and choreographed, the new songs were great, and the set design was gorgeous. Yes, there were a few character issues and I do think Emma Watson could’ve tried a little harder, but overall these are easily forgiven when you admire the spectacle of everything. This is one movie I’ll happily be the guest of many times in the future.

FINAL SCORE
8/10

Great

No comments:

Post a Comment