Friday 10 November 2017

Chill Chat: I’m done with Steven Universe

          


        “I sure hope it won’t be long before we return to Steven’s universe.”

-         Me, roughly 150 days ago.

I love cartoons. Always have. Really good ones have the ability to lift you off your seat and take you into a weird and wacky world only animation can bring you. Part of that is why I fell head over heels in love with Steven Universe when I first stumbled upon it in the summer of 2015. With Gravity Falls (still my favourite show of all time) coming to an end, I was on the hunt for not just another great cartoon, but one with the linear narrative and strong characters of Gravity Falls that was still airing.

Enter Steven Universe. While not to a replacement for Gravity Falls by any means, it was darn close. This show had everything: An expansive world with cool sci-fi elements. Well thought-out and three-dimensional characters with intricate backstories. An awesome soundtrack with great songs composed by the creator herself. Morals that tackled current topics like sexuality and gender in ways kids could not only understand, but relate to. And, best of all, an overarching story with continual character growth and mysteries o’ plenty. After binge watching all of Season 1 and what had been released of Season 2 thus far, I was in love. I couldn’t wait to see more.

And here I am today explaining why I’m both cancelling my review series on this blog and no longer tuning in for future episodes of Steven Universe.

There are three reasons why I can’t keep watching this show anymore, but they all tie together.

#1. The show doesn’t know what genre it wants to be anymore.

The warning signs were there in early Season 2, but we mostly brushed them off as isolated incidents. Let me put things in context: Steven Universe started off as a sci-fi show with slice of life elements mixed in with the episodes where Steven just hung around his hometown being a normal kid. But there was a catch: every episode had to have at least one sci-fi element to remind you of the magical portion of the show, whether it was a cool new location, a crazy monster, or a mysterious weapon, every single episode of Season 1 features either the Crystal Gems or some magical element from the world.

Starting in Season 2, the showrunners began to separate the two. Instead of walking hand in hand, more and more Beach City episodes were being released with no Gem presence, and vice versa. The Gem stuff was being saved for big, game-changing event episodes, leaving the Beach City episodes feeling like filler.

Imagine if in Gravity Falls we had an entire episode just about Mabel cleaning the local diner and interacting with the locals and listening to their sob stories, or an episode of Rick and Morty where Rick left Morty behind and told him to clean out the garage. It wouldn’t be fun.

Which leads me to Season 4, and where my interest in the show took a dramatic plunge. Nearly every episode of Season 4 is just Steven talking to these boring people he lives with, with no Gem or sci-fi elements whatsoever. The Gem-based episodes feel like events instead of the norm, as you think “FINALLY! We’re seeing the stuff we watch the show for!” Steven Universe is no longer a sci-fi show with slice of life elements. Now it’s become a slice-of-life show that goes to space on rare occasions.

#2: Poor scheduling.

          So how do you kill interest in a show that’s already losing its fanbase after an underwhelming season? Easy. Stick the fans in a seemingly endless stream of hiatuses with no return dates!

          I kid you not, there are entire blogs dedicated to documenting how long Steven Universe has remained on hiatus, with the latest ranking in at a record 150+ days! It’s near impossible to stay invested in a show that takes such lengthy breaks during a season. I’m used to cartoons being gone for weeks, even months at a time. But half a year out of commission is just flabbergasting.

          I don’t think it would be nearly as bad though if Steven Universe was still interesting. I remember being fine with the hiatuses during Seasons 2 and 3. But now after the Towniepocalypse (as I like to call it), there’s no guarantee that the wait will be worth it. When Gravity Falls came back after hiatus, I knew I would get good laughs, crazy monsters and maybe a bit more about the overarching mystery. When Rick and Morty comes back after their long hiatuses between seasons I know I’ll get hilarious dark humour and crazy alien worlds.

When Steven Universe comes back after a hiatus, you’d be better off trying to predict what you’ll get from a slot machine. Will it be boring townie episodes? Will it be the stuff you actually watch the show for? Who knows! But you’d better enjoy what you get, because after the five episodes they give you over the course of a single week, they’re going back on hiatus for another three months!

#3. I’ve moved on.

          There’s a weird thing about what happens when a struggling show vanishes during a season with no point of return in sight: it gives the fans ample opportunity to seek out new and better shows.

          Since I can’t rely on Steven Universe for regular episodes that are all of the same quality, I’ve just plain lost interest in the show and moved on to other cartoons. I can guarantee I’ll be watching the next DuckTales when it premieres, but I just plain can’t be bothered to even touch the latest “StevenBomb”. I know it’s just more townie garbage I don’t want to see.

          So that’s it. Instead of excitement, I just feel apathetic towards Steven Universe at this point. If you still love it, great. I’m glad you can find enjoyment in something I can’t. I’m also still willing to come back and catch up on it at some point in the future (preferably after it’s finished so I can only see the episodes that matter), because despite my distaste for the direction it went in, I still love the first three seasons.

          Anyways, that’s my rant. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment