Wednesday 19 October 2016

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Review: “Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire”

Burned
(This review contains spoilers!)

          It seems that this episode was jam packed with nothing but pure awesomeness. Coulson vs. Robbie in a car chase? Check. Hellfire returning? Check. Simmons discovering the truth about Aida and not getting super angry at Fitz about it? Check, check, check!

          I’m so glad that, once again, S.H.I.E.L.D was able to subvert my expectations. I mentioned in my review of the season premiere that I was worried that when Simmons discovered Aida, a rift would break between her and Fitz because he didn’t tell her about it. As it stands right now, it thankfully looks like they aren’t going that route. Simmons agreed with Fitz that for her job security and frequent lie detector tests, it would’ve been best if she hadn’t known.

          Speaking of Simmons, she had some great material this week. Elizabeth Henstridge has always been a sort of secret weapon for the show, bringing both charm and wit as well as some serious acting chops. I especially liked how she was having none of Daisy’s emo phase, remarking “Okay, you can go back to that Lone Ranger thing you’re doing now” after patching up her injuries in the beginning of the episode.

          As usual, however, it was Ghost Rider who stole the show. In bringing back Hellfire, the show took the opportunity to give Ghost Rider his signature chain, as well as giving us a fight scene between two of S.H.I.E.L.D’s most iconic fire-users, in a fireworks store no less. As ridiculous as it seemed, I’m glad they had a sense of humour about the whole thing. Coulson even joked “You had to see this was coming” when Mack questioned if it was a good idea to bring Ghost Rider to what must be the most flammable place in the world.

          The episode ended with the reveal that the ghosts are searching for the Darkhold, a book from the comics responsible for most of the dark magic in the world, and also belonging to one Doctor Stephen Strange. I guess that’s how they’re going to vaguely tie into the movie.

          Speaking of the ghosts, we got a little more backstory on Lucy, the leader of sorts. She built a machine that seemed to create matter out of nothing, but after an incident involving Robbie’s uncle, she seemed to have died. She got a brief cameo this episode, but the effects on her were as laughable as ever. I’ve seen better in cheap haunted houses.

          Despite that, this was a fantastic episode, and continues to prove that S.H.I.E.L.D Season 4 keeps getting better and better after its lousy start. The Aida subplot is turning out to be better than I thought (although it’s still pretty obvious she’s going to turn on Radcliffe in the end), and while the ghosts are still stupid, I’m interested in seeing where it goes. The showrunners are somehow taking a bunch of less than stellar ideas and making good TV out of them, and I must commend them for that.

FINAL SCORE
9/10

Amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment