Thursday 11 May 2017

Steven Universe Review: “I Am My Mom”

Who’s your daddy?
(This review contains spoilers!)

          Continuing directly from last time, it’s up to Steven and the Gems to rescue the captured townspeople from the clutches of Aquamarine and Topaz.

This episode takes a much more sinister tone than the one before, as seen with the reddish tint to the lighting throughout the whole thing. I’ve always loved how Steven Universe isn’t afraid to change the colour scheme they use depending on where the characters are and when the scene takes place. It really adds an extra bit of depth to the world you don’t see in many other cartoons.

          Onto the episode itself, I Am My Mom wastes no time in gathering up the Crystal Gems (sans Peridot and Lapis, but I feel that their respective powers would’ve been able to stop the big reveal at the end, so it kind of makes sense why they were absent this time) and locating the villains who are still searching for “My Dad”. Pearl and Steven quickly put together that they’re top agents sent by Blue and Yellow Diamond as new prisoners for the zoo.

          While Aquamarine was entertaining in the last episode, here she makes the jump to one of Steven Universe’s best villains so far, up there with Yellow Diamond, Jasper, and the Cartoon Network social media guy that lied about a new gem being in Rocknaldo. She’s delightfully sadistic, putting Steven’s friends in mortal danger without a care in the world.

          I also love how this episode brings back plenty of old jokes and plot points from episodes not just in the series, but dating as far back as Season 1. Connie’s ringtone is music from Alone Together, Jamie references the events of Love Letters, and the reason why Aquamarine captured those specific humans is because they’re the ones Steven listed off to Peridot back in Marble Madness. It’s very rewarding for fans who’ve stuck with the show for a long time.

          Of course, things get messy once Steven tells them that he’s “My Dad”, allowing himself to be captured and taken aboard their ship. His rescue mission doesn’t quite go as planned, leaving him no choice but to reveal himself as Rose Quartz. His friends are freed, but at the cost of him being sent to Homeworld with little to no chance of rescue.

          This would make for an awesome cliffhanger ending, but there’s one small detail that really sullied it for me. Not all the humans managed to escape the ship. One was accidentally left behind. And that human was…

          …Lars.

          I keep trying to convince myself that this is a good thing and that it’ll finally give Lars the character development the crew wants him to get, but I can’t help but be disappointed that we might finally be seeing Homeworld for the first time, and we’re stuck with Lars! It doesn’t feel like an exciting additional character being along for the ride. Instead it feels more like you’re finally going to Disney World for the first time ever but you need to bring your bratty nephew along for no real reason.

          (NOTE: I wrote this review on Thursday morning. Since then I’ve seen the leak of the next episode, Stuck Together, and I’m starting to think that having Lars playing a major role in this arc might be just what his character needs. I’m keeping this review the way it is though to preserve how I felt after watching I Am My Mom the first time.)

          Despite this frustration, I Am My Mom is a very satisfying ending to not only the arc, but the entire season. In a season full of boring town episodes and underwhelming character development across the board, this episode really felt like a return to form for the series that we haven’t seen since the last StevenBomb. While I’m sure Steven will be returning to Earth before long, the next few episode titles tell me that we’ll be spending plenty of time with Lars in space, seeing more of what Homeworld has up their sleeves.

FINAL SCORE
8/10

Great

No comments:

Post a Comment