Thursday 26 May 2016

Steven Universe Review: “Barn Mates”

H2Oh my gosh
(This review contains spoilers!)

          I remember when I was watching through Steven Universe for the first time, I read someone online say that Peridot was their favourite character overall. At this point, Friend Ship was the newest episode, and I was a little confused. Yes, Peridot was fun, but I still felt she really couldn’t compare to characters like Steven, Garnet, and even Lapis in terms of both how likeable and how interesting she was.

          If anything, Barn Mates displays just how far Peridot’s come over the course of the Cluster Arc. A character I once considered to be only good for a few gags is now one of the most relatable, and my personal favourite overall.

          So let’s dig into the episode. We pick up where we left off last time, with Lapis and Peridot battling it out over who gets to stay in the barn. Peridot is more than happy to share, but Lapis just wants to be alone. So we follow Peridot and Steven as they try to impress her.

          Lapis, being Lapis, isn’t impressed by anything, unless Steven is involved. I found it hilarious how she refused to come down from the silo when Peridot called her repeatedly, but when Steven called her once, she was down there in a second.

          Still, this episode really hammered home just how gray of a character Lapis is. Between her telling Peridot to leave, rejecting all of her gift offers, and (gasp!) breaking her precious tape recorder, it’s clear now that Lapis is carrying a lot more personal baggage that Peridot ever did. I’m starting to have my doubts that she’ll ever follow in Peridot’s footsteps and join the Crystal Gems.

          The episode ended with Homeworld sending a small ship in an effort to capture Peridot, and Lapis saving her. Then the Crystal Gems showed up at the very last second, when all the danger had passed. Good job, guys.

          With yet another surprise waiting at the end of the episode (that I won’t spoil), next week’s episode is looking more tantalizing than ever. And I know, some episodes have been leaked online beforehand, but I’m going to keep it pure for myself and play the waiting game. Wish me luck.

FINAL SCORE
8/10

Great

No comments:

Post a Comment