Wednesday 18 May 2016

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Review: “Absolution”/”Ascension”

A lovely game of pass the cross
(This review contains spoilers!)

          We’ve finally arrived at the grand finale of Shield’s third season, and along with it comes the conclusion of the Fallen Agent storyline. I’ll admit, going in I was almost certain that we were going to get some sort of bait-and-switch, and the whole team was going to survive. Well, I was wrong. But I’m getting ahead of myself. Let’s take this thing from the top.

          The overarching plot this week is that Hive is plotting to use a warhead to cover a significant part of the Earth in terrigen mist, turning humans into those primitives. The opening of the first episode is excellent, as every member of the team got their chance to shine as they raid the launch base and capture Hive.

          Speaking of that, how ridiculous was it for them to leave the frozen Hive just lying out in the middle of the base? Especially with Coulson having dealt with captured godlike beings escaping before, with one of them ending significantly less than favourably for him, it was kind of stupid for them to do that. It made it even more obvious than it already was that he’d escape.

          Unfortunately, in the time between the opening raid and the ending with Hive breaking free, the first half of the finale didn’t add much to the overall plot, except for a way to pass that cursed cross around from character to character.

          The second half, on the other hand, completely blew the first out of the water. Between the base losing power and being attacked by primitives, looking like something out of a horror movie, and Fitz and May stowing away on the stolen quinjet to save a captured Daisy, there was never a dull moment.

          Each of the main cast got their moment in the spotlight this episode, with the exception of Joey, who was conspicuously absent. I guess that when he said he was ready to leave, he meant it.

          Between May fighting off a group of primitives by herself, Fitz finally taking out Giyera, Daisy’s one-on-one showdown against Hive, Yo-yo saving Mack, who then later brought back his famous shotgun-axe, Radcliffe’s one-liners, Simmons figuring out the trick to avoiding the primitives, and Lincoln’s big moment at the end, everyone got a moment in the spotlight.

          The real stars of the show here, however, were Clark Gregg and Brett Dalton as Coulson and Hive respectively. Their one on one conversation was easily one of the best scenes the show’s ever done, with Coulson dropping some of his famous jokes and puns, counteracting how deadly Hive seemed.

          We also got to see Hive’s true form in all its glory (which I am officially dubbing SquidWard), and it looked incredible, at least by Shield’s usual standards. The best way I can compare it is with a lesser version of Davy Jones from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It looked like it jumped right off the comic page.

          I’d also like to take a moment here to appreciate my new favourite line from the show: “I’ve always wanted to do this. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope.” as said by Coulson just before Hive fizzles his hologram. I actually had to pause the show I was laughing so hard.

           The storyline came to its conclusion with Lincoln sacrificing himself to launch the quinjet carrying the warhead and Hive into space, destroying them both. They both got a really nice moment together as they waited for the inevitable, with Hive confessing that all he really wanted was to help people become better. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: despite the fact that I wasn’t a huge fan of what they did to Grant Ward post-Season 1 (especially that weird girlfriend plot he had), Brett Dalton has always been one of the best things about Shield, and I’m sad to finally see him go.

          Then after that, we abruptly jumped 6 months into the future. Daisy is now a vigilante/criminal calling herself Quake (as in her name from the comics). Coulson and Mack are hunting her down, and apparently there’s a new director of S.H.I.E.L.D. Plus, Daisy’s wearing a truly terrible outfit, Radcliffe’s building some sort of Vision-like robot, and Mack bought sandwiches. Not a great ending, but it was a decent enough peek into Season 4.

          One final thought before I close this off: With Daisy gone rogue, Lincoln dead, and Joey having apparently quit, I guess that means we’re never going to truly see the Secret Warriors in all their glory. I’m not gonna lie, I’m kind of disappointed by this. They spent all season building them up, and we got about 15 minutes at most of them working together. It feels like a huge waste of potential.

          Anyways, Shield ended off an excellent season with a great ending, and I look forward to see what Coulson and the team get up to next.

FINAL SCORE
8/10

Great

No comments:

Post a Comment