Tuesday 11 July 2017

Puyo Puyo Tetris Review

Let the blocks hit the floor
(This review contains minor spoilers!)

          The only game I can say with complete confidence that I’m actually good at is Tetris. I can line up those blocks like nobody else. On the other hand, I’ve never played Puyo Puyo before now, so this is my first time checking it out. So is this crossover worth your time?

          In my opinion probably not, unless you’re a big fan of both Puyo Puyo and Tetris.

          Much to my surprise (and subsequent disappointment), this isn’t a marriage of Puyo Puyo and Tetris. Instead it’s more like a Puyo Puyo game with Tetris added as the integral gimmick. Now this wouldn’t be a problem if Puyo Puyo was fun to play, but sadly it isn’t. For those who don’t know it’s sort of like a combination of Bejewled and Tetris. Cute globs of goo fall from the sky, and matching four of the same colours allows them to disappear. Your main goal is to line them up in a way that creates combos, removing lots of lines at once.

          While it sounds fun on paper, in practice the game is really, really boring. It’s much slower pace than Tetris, and it can be immensely frustrating when it seems like the game just doesn’t want to give you the colour you need. Every time a Puyo Puyo level came up I groaned, because each of them could go up to seven minutes in length because of how slow they were.

          Fortunately, Tetris is just as good as ever here. I really wish it had gotten equal screentime as Puyo Puyo though, because basically every fourth level would be Tetris with the rest of them being Puyo Puyo.

          The game’s main line of gameplay is the “story” mode, but calling the half-assed plot they give you a story is stretching the truth pretty far. It’s basically just levels of the titular puzzles strung together by cutscenes of shrieking anime girls. While at first I thought the story would be so bad it would be good, by the third world I started skipping it entirely.

          This wouldn’t be so much of a problem if I could escape the characters during gameplay, but Puyo Puyo Tetris refuses to allow you to escape from its anime iron grip! The characters cheer you on during gameplay, using the same lines over and over again every time you clear a line.

          Every.

          Single.

          Time.

          You don’t know how grating it is to hear “Yes!” “Solved it!” “Fireball!” “Ballistic!” and the like over and over and over and over and over and over and over. It legitimately got to a point where I just couldn’t take it anymore and refused to go any further in the game.

          There’s also various singleplayer and multiplayer modes, but I refuse to play any more of this game. Much to my dismay the character voices follow you to these modes as well, and there isn’t a standard Marathon Tetris mode anywhere to be found, so there’s really no point.

          Puyo Puyo Tetris is a mediocre game that quickly becomes an annoying one. Maybe if I enjoyed playing Puyo Puyo I would’ve enjoyed this game more, but as I don’t this is a game I cannot recommend in good frame of mind. The story is childish to the extreme, the non-campaign modes are a waste of time, the lack of a Marathon mode limits replayability, and the constant, inescapable voice acting turns the game from a decent puzzler to an exercise in patience. If you really want to see what this game is all about, just download the free demo from the Nintendo Switch eShop.

FINAL SCORE
3/10

Bad

No comments:

Post a Comment