Tuesday 16 August 2016

Amaama to Inazuma Episode 7 Review

I swear the writers are listening to me
(This review contains spoilers!)

          Since I’ve been quite vocal in my dislike of the direction Amaama to Inazuma’s been going post-Episode 3, I made two decisions prior to watching this week’s episode. One: if it followed the exact same formula as the last three weeks with minimal differences, I would drop the show entirely. And two: I wouldn’t write anything for the review while I watched. I normally write out the review as I watch the episode, and edit it accordingly when I finish, but this week I decided to try an experiment. Would I enjoy the episode more if I wasn’t worrying about being critical the whole time?

          Well, this week’s episode was a roaring success on both fronts. Not only did I enjoy it, but I consider it to be the best episode we’ve seen from this show so far. The playbook that the crew’s been relying on so hard for the past three weeks has been tossed out the window, and I was reminded of what makes this show so unique when it comes to slice-of-life anime. Next week I’m going to try not writing the review during the episode again, so we’ll see where that leads us.

          This week, Tsumugi’s dad is sick, prompting her to go to the restaurant by herself to get him some food to make him feel better. What follows is a delightful sequence, where we see Tsumugi’s walk in both real life and her imagination, as she pretends to avoid sharks, see dinosaurs, and travel through dark tunnels on her way to the restaurant. She even sings an adorable little song that I’m sure will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Everything about it is great; the animation, the music, and the characters and their voice actors all excel in making this the best scene the show has produced thus far.

          However, it’s the second half of the episodes where things truly shine. Once Tsumugi and her father are reunited, he loses his temper at her, and she throws a tantrum, prompting him and Kurumi/Iida/whatever her name is to take shelter in the restaurant. It was at this point I was sure I knew what was coming. Kurumi would cook them something, it would cheer them up, everyone’s happy. They even address in the show that this might work.

          Fortunately, this isn’t the route they take. Both Tsumugi and her father apologize in another quiet, delightful father-daughter scene. It’s quite a contrast to last week’s Nichijou-like loud reactions and expressions. I’m guessing there was a different director for Episode 6, but I wouldn’t know. Anyways, the scene where they make up and smile is just delightful, and it only furthers the completely believable bond between the two.

          Surprisingly, the cooking segment this week lasts less than 5 minutes, and it kind of feels tacked on. I think this episode would’ve made more of an impression if they didn’t have one entirely, but when your show is focused around cooking and food, I guess it’s kind of a requirement. Thankfully the kitchen is nowhere near as crowded as it was last week, and this week reminded me a lot of the first few episodes, with the trio making a simple dish and having fun with that.

          All in all, this was a fantastic episode, and it completely reinvigorated my excitement for more episodes to come. I can’t wait to see what they do next week.

FINAL SCORE
9/10

Amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment