Saturday 30 April 2016

Ace Attorney Episode 5 Review

Moving right along
(This review contains spoilers!)

          Ask anyone what their favourite part of the Ace Attorney games are, and I guarantee they’ll say the courtroom scenes. How could they not? The deliberations, the cross-examinations, the revelations about the characters, it’s always a blast to play through. On the other hand, there’s the investigation segments. I always found they went on a bit too long, but I still found them necessary and enjoyable enough.

          It seem that the showrunners agreed with me, but to an even higher extreme, as they skipped over more than half of the investigation segment for this episode’s case.

          It’s shocking just how much essential information they just showed by montage. The security camera that was vital to the first courtroom scene was skimmed over, leaving it a surprise piece of evidence. An entire character’s questioning was passed by, leaving her anonymous. And why was this all done? To give us more time with the security lady.

          I could go on with how annoying she is as a character, but I know she’s deliberately written that way, so I won’t. Instead, I’ll focus on how stupid it is to only show Phoenix questioning one person, when it’s made very clear that there were other staff on site the day of the murder. Aside from the girl he’s shown questioning, he isn’t shown talking to any of the staff onscreen. Why not just add that to the montage you already have?

          The Steel Samurai case was never one of my personal favourites, but I’d forgotten who the true culprit was. I was looking forward to figuring it out myself again.

          That is, until the show blatantly told me who it was.

          This is a huge problem with the anime. It immediately assumes you’ve played the game, and literally spoon-feeds you the information on who did the murder. The true killer is shown for a few seconds, makes a snide remark, and then is never shown again for the rest of the episode. If I didn’t already know who it was because I played the game, I’m sure it wouldn’t take a brain surgeon to figure it out.

         Then there’s also the problem that once again, the subtitles list the characters with their Japanese names instead of the English translations, but this is more the translator’s fault than the show itself.

          However, it underlines a huge problem with Ace Attorney: it’s just not trying hard enough. It’s the kind of show that feels like it can get away with name recognition alone, quality be damned. At this point, I’d still recommend playing the game over watching the anime. It’s more fun, and you get to really uncover all the secrets behind the case yourself, including who really did the crime.


FINAL SCORE
4/10

Mediocre

No comments:

Post a Comment