Sunday 24 April 2016

Asagao Academy Review

YouTube Dating 101
(This review contains spoilers!)


          I have little to no experience with visual novels. The only one I’ve played is the first Ace Attorney game, and even then that can be argued as more of a point and click adventure game. I’ve watched a few on YouTube before, laughing at the silliness of games like Hatoful Boyfriend and Jurassic Heart. Asagao Academy was my first step into this weird world.

          The premise of Asagao is that you’re a young pink-haired girl by the name of Hana, who has come from a poverty-stricken beginning to the titular prestigious school. At the school, she meets Mai, her excitable best friend, as well as the Normal Boots club, which is where the true appeal of the game lies.

          See, the Normal Boots club (as well as their rivals, the Hidden Block club) is made up of completely real YouTube personalities specializing in videos based on games. Their personalities are very much embellished for the sake of the game, but it’s still clear that they’re the people you recognize from their respective channels.

          From the get-go, it’s clear that every single aspect of this game is put together with nothing but the most love and affection a game can have. The first-time developers at Illus Seed have really given it their all in crafting this game, and it shows. The sprite and background art is simply phenomenal, and the writing is beyond brilliant. It’s at the same time both hilarious and heartfelt, and it leaves you really feeling for the characters. It did have me wringing my hands in frustration at some points, however, as it seemed that Murphy’s Law was really in affect for this poor main character. No matter what happened, no matter how hard I tried, something bad would always happen to her. This grew incredibly frustrating, as there came a time when I had to sit back and think “If I continue, will the ending leave me feeling satisfied?”

          I especially liked all the small references to the real-life shows created by the datable NPCs, such as PeanutButterGamer’s Minecraft Hardcore series, ProJared’s Nuzlocke runs, and even some very obscure ones, such as Balrog’s old Nintendo 101 series. It’s little touches like these that really add to the experience, and show how much these developers cared about everything.

          As for the gameplay, it’s everything I assume to be in your average visual novel. Lots and lots of text, with you making decisions every now and again to change how the plot furthers. This may just be my opinion, but I found it extremely difficult to predict what each decision would lead to, and when dealing with the consequences of my actions, I often grew frustrated as I found it extremely hard to pinpoint exactly where I went wrong.

          To give you an example about how my various playthroughs went, I’ll explain. I decided to go through 4 different storylines before writing this review: PeanutButterGamer, Jirard the Completionist, JonTron, and finally ProJared. Here are my experiences with each.

          I found PeanutButterGamer the easiest datable bachelor, requiring the least decisions. While I really enjoyed the storyline, I couldn’t help but feel that the game was playing itself at times, and that it really didn’t need me to move along. Needless to say, I wound up getting the Best Ending without feeling like I really earned it. But still, the writing was excellent, and this remains my favourite of the storylines I played.

          Next up was Jirard, and I’m not sure what happened, but I completely bombed this one. The overall theme of the story was that Jirard, being the completionist that he is, was looking for an incredibly rare kitten figurine. So, naturally, my character goes looking for it, hoping to win his love. Upon finding it, she is presented with a choice. Either take the kitten and leave the Normal Boots club, or don’t. I paused and thought about which would be better for the goal I was trying to reach, and decided I wasn’t going to do it.

          The game, however, had other ideas. I had no choice but to take the kitten, which then proceeded to break no less than 5 minutes later. After that, I was on a one way train to the Worst Ending, having no idea how I arrived there or how to prevent it.

          So I shook this failure off and moved onto Jon’s playthrough. Unfortunately, this ended up being the same old story. I tried my hardest to make the best decisions, but the game took over at the most inopportune times, and I wound up once again leaving with nothing but a Bad Ending and complete frustration. I had no idea what I did wrong or how I could’ve fixed it, and I still don’t.

          But I was determined. The final playthrough on my quest was ProJared’s, and I needed to see that Best Ending one more time to feel like I’d accomplished anything. I took every precaution necessary, creating a save file at every single decision. I thought about each and every moment before clicking on anything. This was the most careful I’d been playing a game since playing Undertale. How’d it turn out?

          For a moment, it seemed like everything was going swell. I had won the competition and joined the Normal Boots club, just as I had done in the Best Ending for PBG’s playthrough. However, Jared’s has an extra little part towards the end you have to get through that I won’t spoil. Once we reached that point, for reasons I couldn’t figure out, everything came crashing down around me and I was left once again with a Bad Ending.

          No problem, I thought to myself. I’ll just use one of my save files and use a different decision. I went back and tried again, but somehow with a click of a button I wound up with the same story. I tried again. This time I had an even WORSE ending.

          Finally, I fixed a choice that ended up with me losing the tournament, but I wound up with a Good Ending. I still had one more save file I could try to see if that led to the Best Ending, but in my haste to get to it I accidentally saved over it with the Good Ending, so that was the end of that. I won’t go over what the decision that did me in was, but I can tell you that nothing in it had any indication that it would lead up to the very end. For all I know, it didn’t and I’d messed up far prior.

          So that’s Asagao Academy. A gorgeously put together game with amazing writing and art, but a frustrating difficulty curve with no real way of figuring out what you did wrong. Still, I enjoyed my time with the game, and I may go back and try some other runs some time. If you like visual novels or the YouTubers this game is based off of, I’d say it’s absolutely worth a look.

FINAL SCORE
7/10

Good

No comments:

Post a Comment