Saturday 3 December 2016

Bonus Content: My Thoughts on PlayStation Experience 2016

          

          Coming to us just two days after The Game Awards, PlayStation Experience is here to give us even more content to look forward to in 2017! Well, that and some stuff nobody could care less about. This was easily the better of the two events this week, if only because PlayStation Experience wasn’t artificially extended to fit in a billion advertisements. Unless it was Schick Hydroman. I wouldn’t have minded seeing him again.

          Taking it from the top, we started off what was easily the best part of the conference for me: a gameplay demo of brand new DLC for Uncharted 4 focused on Chloe from Uncharted 2 and 3! Yes! It’s no secret I’m a huge fan of the Uncharted series, and I’m always down for more content, even if it doesn’t include Nathan Drake. Chloe was a great character in 2 (and she was woefully underused in 3), so seeing more of her is always welcome. The gameplay looks like your standard Uncharted stuff, with lots of sneaking around, climbing, and punching dudes. Frankly, I was just happy we got to see gameplay at all instead of another pre-rendered cutscene.

          From there, we moved straight into a pre-rendered cutscene. Granted, it was a very pretty pre-rendered cutscene for the next Marvel vs. Capcom game, but considering they said onstage that the first gameplay would be shown later at a completely different PlayStation Experience panel confuses me. Why not just show it there instead of making us tune in at a different time? I’m always much more impressed by real gameplay than flashy lights and bright colours, and I know several who feel the same way.

          Much of this conference seemed to be focused on announcing remakes for older games. Crash Bandicoot, Parappa the Rapper, Loco Roco, Wipeout, you name it, it’s getting remade. Remasters of old games like these are guaranteed to move some copies thanks to people who’ll buy them on nostalgia alone, so there’s no worry they won’t sell well. A lot of them look really great too: Wipeout practically looks like it was made for HD. I just wish we hadn’t spent so much time on games that already exist.

          So how about a game that doesn’t already exist? Because Sony’s got you covered by making…Knack 2. Yeah, Knack, as in that game that launched with the PS4 that nobody except young kids liked. Apparently it moved enough copies to warrant a sequel. I’m not the type of guy who writes games off after seeing the first trailer, so I’ll keep an open mind, but come on. Who asked for Knack 2 to be made!?

          There was also an indie highlight reel, but although I call it a highlight reel, it felt more like a way to kill time midway through the show. Sadly, none of these games really captured my attention, save for one called Vane, but that was in and out so fast there was really no time to really grasp what it was. The pacing was all off here, giving us not enough time to really take in each game and instead showed them back to back to back with no cohesiveness. Because all the indies and small devs were jumbled together, I’m finding it hard to remember any real standout stuff from this segment, aside from Vane and Ni No Kuni 2. It went on for way too long with way too little stuff to show.

          Thankfully, they were able to recover in the end, as we got another look at the gorgeous world of Horizon: Zero Dawn, as well as the long-awaited first look at The Last of Us: Part 2. Finally! After years of rumours and speculation and leaks, Naughty Dog has finally come out and confirmed the sequel to 2012’s smash hit. Frankly, considering I actually never played the original Last of Us despite owning a copy, I’m way more excited for Horizon: Zero Dawn. As I’ve mentioned before, I love the idea of a world taken back by nature, with robotic animals roaming the plains and tribes of humans having sprung up as a resistance. There’ll apparently be more on that tomorrow, and I can’t wait. As for Last of Us, we didn’t see much aside from Joel and Ellie hanging out together again, but the graphics looked absolutely gorgeous. The thing is, it was again a cinematic trailer. The presenter did specify that the game was in extremely early development, meaning we probably won’t have it in our hands until 2018 at the earliest.


          This year’s PlayStation Experience was far better than The Game Awards, but it still had some very shaky moments and lengthy boring segments that prevented it from being truly great. If they’d only cut down the number of indies shown and given more time to a select few, maybe then they would’ve done better. I also would’ve again liked less cinematics and more gameplay. I’ve reached the point where flashy imagery isn’t enough to sell me on games anymore. I need to see how they actually work and play before I get interested. Some trailers, like the Uncharted one, had real gameplay, but it just wasn’t enough to keep my full attention until the end. So, yeah. Not quite as good as their E3 this year, but at least it was able to help clean Geoff Keighley’s mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment