Wednesday 7 December 2016

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Review: “Laws of Inferno Dynamics”

Just another day at S.H.I.E.L.D
(This review contains spoilers!)

          With Ghost Rider’s story coming to an end (a little prematurely in my opinion), S.H.I.E.L.D decided to tie up nearly all the loose ends introduced at the beginning of the season. This led to a winter finale that, while still good, did feel like more of a whimper than a bang.

          Now that Coulson, Fitz and Robbie have returned from the dimension between dimensions, the whole team has been reassembled to take down Uncle Eli once and for all. But as Eli is preparing a doomsday device, Fitz, Simmons and Aida have thrown together a combination of science and magic in hopes they can teleport it away.

          While it’s a good premise overall, it doesn’t feel worthy of ending the entire arc. While Eli being the big bad was a great surprise, he doesn’t quite feel like a villain worthy of the likes we’ve seen before. In fact, his whole scheme almost feels like it came straight out of Season 1. It’s a lot of science mumbo-jumbo that will apparently lead to him becoming a god. Needless to say, Coulson and his crew save the day, but not without having Robbie teleported with Eli to parts unknown.

          As disappointing as it is that we’ve lost Ghost Rider after only 8 episodes, I will say that he just might’ve been my favourite thing S.H.I.E.L.D has ever done. Gabriel Luna was a fantastic Robbie Reyes, really making the character his own and allowing him to stand out among the others. It’s really saying something when you can make the audience care as much about your character as the characters they’ve already spent 4 years with, but Luna pulled it off. Plus, the CGI on Ghost Rider was very impressive, especially considering the TV budget S.H.I.E.L.D is working with. Towards the end of the episode Coulson made it a very real possibility that we haven’t seen the last of Ghost Rider, and I hope he makes his return sooner rather than later.

          Director Mace was another huge presence in this episode, with he and Coulson’s clashing ideals finally coming to blows. Now, with his secret ties with the Inhuman hating senator being clear for all the agents to see, he feels even more untrustworthy than ever. So far I thought Mace slowly becoming more and more of a suspicious character has been excellent, but I do think that the show isn’t exercising his power over the other agents enough. He’s their superior; why is he answering to Coulson? I also liked that we finally saw him in the field finally, complete with a cool new suit. It seemed vaguely Captain America inspired, surely as a reference to the comic book Jeffrey Mace, who formerly carried the red, white and blue shield.

          Daisy has rejoined the team after having her cover blown because…she wanted to get some fresh air. I’m sorry, I know I’ve been really unforgiving to Daisy’s character arc all season, but it ends in the stupidest way possible! After Eli is stopped, Daisy goes outside to take a breather. Then she jumps way up in the air, has a glamour shot for some reason, and lands right down in front of the press, giving her little choice but to rejoin S.H.I.E.L.D. I really liked Daisy’s dynamic with Robbie, but that was really the only highlight of her this season thus far. Other than that, she’s just been complaining through everything, and if her jumping back onboard the team is going to put an end to that, I’m all for it.

          And I guess I can’t really finish this review without talking about that ending. I don’t mean to toot my own horn, but I totally predicted this back in my review of the first episode of this season.

          S.H.I.E.L.D is a show that prides itself on breaking expectations and surprising the viewers at every turn. So why did they decide the next arc would be this stupid cliché!? The whole evil robot thing has been done so many times before, including in the exact same universe S.H.I.E.L.D is set in. Hell, they’ve mentioned Ultron himself like 2 or 3 times already! This was an extremely predictable way to continue Aida’s storyline, and I’m more than a little disappointed that this is where we’re going next.

          On the other hand, S.H.I.E.L.D did have one big surprise up their sleeves. The one major difference Aida has over Ultron is that Aida is an LMD, or a Life-Model Decoy. As we’ve heard mentioned several times before, she is lifelike enough that she was able to fool everybody (except Simmons). Knowing that, the final scene of the episode showed Aida opening a door in Radcliffe’s laboratory to reveal…May’s unconscious body. So that means the May hanging out with the rest of the crew is an LMD, just like Aida. So when did this happen? That wasn’t revealed yet, but the show has lots of explaining to do once they make their early return in January. I imagine that there’ll be a lot of paranoia for the rest of the season as nobody can be trusted anymore, since anyone could be an LMD.

          As an episode, Laws of Inferno Dynamics was fine, but as an arc ender, it was a little underwhelming. I wanted to see more of Ghost Rider doing actual Ghost Rider things for the end of his storyline (the skull man himself only got about a minute of screen time) instead of a bog-standard mission with a disappointing final battle with the villain. Despite this, the characters were excellent as always this week, and while the setup for what’s next is an extremely clichéd and tired trope, S.H.I.E.L.D pulled it off in a way that leaves me intrigued to see where they go with it.

FINAL SCORE
6/10

Okay

No comments:

Post a Comment