Monday 18 July 2016

Steven Universe: Summer Adventures July 18-22 Reviews

Week 1
(These reviews contain spoilers!)

          The Summer of Steven is finally upon us, as Cartoon Network has decided to give us the entirety of Season 3 over the next couple of weeks! Since that’s a lot of episodes to go through, I decided to have one post for each week, so I don’t flood my blog with Steven Universe stuff. I’ll try and update every weeknight sometime after the episode airs with my review, so if you want you can keep up with that!

Steven Floats
          The first episode of the Summer of Steven was Steven Floats, which, for all intents and purposes, felt like a Season 1 episode. Now, this isn’t a bad thing by any means, but it did feel a bit repetitive, like we’ve seen this story before, to the point when the Gems even make jokes about it.

          The basic premise is that Steven wants to get to the Big Donut right when it opens to get fresh donuts. Simple, right? Well, as it turns out, he discovers a new gem power on the same night. As it turns out, he can control how high he ascends when he jumps and how slowly he descends. This leads him to get stuck in midair, as he can’t lower himself very fast.

          What follows is a cute episode, and all the Gems get a few funny lines in, between Pearl’s over-the-top neuroticism, Amethyst initially ignoring Steven’s floating by saying “eh, he’s probably done this once before”, and Garnet going off-screen to steal someone’s phone, they were at the peak of their humour.

          However, this episode also broke a few rules in terms of the storytelling. Steven seemed to teleport in midair depending on where the pacing needed him to be, and the supposedly “fresh” donut Steven wanted being sitting out on a plate when no one was supposed to be in the shop. I’m also not huge on another gem power being controlled by Steven’s emotions, but I’m guessing that that won’t last long before he’s able to control it like he does his shield.

          Overall, a decent episode that wouldn’t feel out of place in Season 1, but it’s ultimately a bit too slow and forgettable for my tastes. Still, when I inevitably rewatch the show at some point, I’m sure I’ll enjoy seeing Steven Floats again.

FINAL SCORE
6/10

Okay

Drop Beat Dad
          I’d like to make one thing clear: I enjoy the Beach City episodes and characters, for the most part. There are some of them I like, and some I don’t. Sometimes, these episodes can do something unique with a concept that’s been done a million times before, or perhaps it will give Steven or someone else some good character development.

          Drop Beat Dad wasn’t one of those episodes.

          If you ever want to show someone the absolute worst example of a Steven Universe episode, by all means, go with this one. It was full of tropes, annoying and uninteresting character interactions, jokes that didn’t land, and it just overall felt like a slog. Each of those 11 minutes felt like an hour on their own.

          The story isn’t much more than a bunch of cartoon tropes mixed in together, like the liar revealed story, the bad role model story, the dad bonding with his son story, the list goes on. What annoys me here is that I know Steven Universe has taken these tropes and created something excellent with them before, in episodes like Cry for Help and House Guest.

          Here, from minute one you can tell exactly what’s going to happen. Marty, Greg’s former manager who we’ve seen in flashback, returns, and it’s revealed that he’s Sour Cream’s biological father. He decides to help Sour Cream with a DJ show, but surprise! He’s only doing it for his own gain. Also, now Greg has 10 million dollars or something. That part wasn’t exactly clear.

          The problem here is that that’s all the story is. There’s nothing special or different about this story. Neither Sour Cream nor Marty get much character development. It’s just a bland, cookie cutter plot, from a show that I know can do much better.

FINAL SCORE
3/10

Bad


Mr. Greg
          This episode felt like someone came up to me, asked me what my favourite things about Steven Universe were, and then made an episode around it.

          I’ve always felt Steven Universe uses musical numbers better than any cartoon I’ve seen before. They feel like a treat, instead of a requirement for each episode or a painful slog. I feel that, in combination with the exceptional songwriting, the fact that we don’t get one that often adds to their appeal.

          When it was announced Steven Universe would get a musical episode with multiple songs, I’ll admit I was a bit skeptical at first. I now realize that this was pretty dumb of me. Of course they could pull it off. I just didn’t know they could do it this well.

          This episode follows up directly after Drop Beat Dad, following Steven, Greg, and Pearl, as they take a vacation to Empire City in full Broadway style, flaunting Greg’s newly-acquired fortune. There are about 4 or 5 different songs in total, and they’re all fantastic. The best of them is easily Pearl’s new song about her relationship with Rose.

          Pearl is easily the most complex Gem in my opinion, even more than Lapis or Amethyst. Her still burning love for Rose Quartz and resulting feelings towards Steven and Greg have made for some exceptional episodes in the past, like the phenomenal Rose’s Scabbard. While Mr. Greg doesn’t quite scale the heights of that episode, it adds yet another dimension to the relationship between Pearl and Greg, and why Steven brought her on the vacation in the first place.

          And let’s not forget the animation, which was at its absolute best this episode. The Empire City backgrounds were rendered amazingly, and the artists had a lot of fun with using different colours in rendering it. However, I can’t be the only one wondering if Greg and Pearl being rendered in yellow and blue during the final song is a coincidence, right?

          All in all, this was a near-perfect episode of Steven Universe for me. This is why I watch the show, along with the fantastic overarching plot. The small character interactions are just exceptional, and the songs are fantastic. This was the first time I immediately wanted to watch an episode again after finishing it since the finale of Gravity Falls. Hang on, I’m gonna go watch it again.

FINAL SCORE
10/10

Legendary


Too Short to Ride
          This episode reminded me a lot of Log Date 7 15 2, one of my personal favourite slower Steven Universe episodes. Both of them involved Peridot’s daily life interacting with Steven, the Gems, and now we got to see her interact with the denizens of Beach City for the first time.

          People are often quick to call Steven Universe “the cartoon about people crying”, and while this can be attributed to several episodes (primarily Pearl-focused ones), I really feel that Steven celebrates happiness and good times over tears and sadness. Too Short to Ride was the perfect example of this, as Steven and Amethyst were more than happy to take Peridot out with them on a day out at Funland.

          The jokes were out in full force tonight, and if I were to list all my favourites, I’d just give a recap of the entire episode. It’s best to just watch it for yourself. We also got lots more development on Peridot’s end, and even a little more about Homeworld. We learned that she’s a Class 2 Peridot, stripped of most of the classic gem powers such as shapeshifting. Instead, she can levitate metal! I suppose this is her gem weapon, similar to Lapis’s hydrokinesis, and I’m looking forward to seeing more of it.

          One other thing I really enjoy about this show just in general is that the Gems don’t feel the need to hide from the humans of Beach City. The residents of the City just accept that there are superpowered aliens walking among them, and I think that’s great. Not only does it rid us of any potential “secret aliens revealed” storyline or a similarly tired equivalent, but it allows the world to be established as different from our own. The gems walk among the humans, and that’s just something they live with, and that’s just great to me.

          All and all, this was a delightfully hilarious episode. I’m so glad Peridot is really getting the attention she deserves, but they aren’t overusing her either. I can’t wait to see where her metal manipulating powers take us.

FINAL SCORE
9/10

Amazing


The New Lars
          I don’t like Lars. I’ve always felt that this grumpy, pessimistic, and flat-out mean character really feels out of place in Steven Universe’s colourful, love-filled universe. I can’t relate to him, and I can’t remember a single one of his episodes I’ve really liked.

          With that in mind, I was ready to hate The New Lars. I’ve been going into these episodes as blind as possible, so all I knew about this episode was it was going to revolve around one of my least favourite characters.

          After seeing the episode, while it was a tad cliché and brought to light a lot of the reasons why I dislike Lars, it was a fine episode, and not one I regret spending the time to watch.

          The basic plot is that (as usual) Lars is being awful to Steven and Sadie, and Steven wishes he’d change. Then, overnight, Steven takes control of Lars’s body (yet another new gem power, I assume?), and gets to experience a day in the life of Lars.

          At this point, I’m a little sick of the whole “body-switching” episode in these cartoon shows. While it can be fun if handled differently, like Gravity Falls’s Carpet Diem episode, usually it’s just “oh hey how would these characters react if they were in this character’s body”, and here was no different. Steven went around as Lars, trying to make people smile like always, but people react with confusion because, well, he’s Lars.

          And that’s my biggest problem with Lars’s character. Aside from Steven, who sees the good in basically everybody, and occasionally Sadie, even the show’s own characters don’t like Lars! He hasn’t changed all that much since his first appearance back in Episode 1 of Season 1, even after episodes like Lars and the Cool Kids and Joking Victim. He’s still a whiny jerk that no one likes, so how am I, the viewer, supposed to like him?

          Fortunately, this episode is played mostly for laughs, as we get a little bit of development on the relationship between Lars and Sadie, but not much else. It’s just the characters reacting to the new, kinder Lars, and for what it is, it’s fine. Onion’s expression upon seeing him is especially hilarious. Lars’s voice actor also does a great job as Steven pretending to be Lars. At times, it’s hard to tell that there’s supposed to be a difference, it sounds so natural.

          I also really liked that, after 2 seasons and then some, we’re finally seeing what Lars’s home life is like. If you remember what Robbie’s family was like in Gravity Falls, it’s basically the same old story here. The parents had a few good one-liners, especially towards the end, but nothing about them really stood out in my mind.

          Overall, while not a fantastic episode, it could’ve been a lot worse. It had good aspects and bad aspects, but if you’re a fan of Lars and Sadie, I can see it being a lot of fun. Give it a watch and see for yourself.

FINAL SCORE
5/10

Average


Beach City Drift
          Well…I hope you guys liked Alone Together, because this episode was just Alone Together again with a new coat of paint. It wasn’t very nice paint, either.

          What a disappointing way to end our first week of Steven’s Summer Adventures. Pretty much anything that could go wrong with this episode did go wrong. I’m sure Stevonnie fans liked it, but as someone who isn’t such a huge fan of Alone Together (it’s a good episode, don’t get me wrong, I just don’t really like it as much as everyone else), this episode did nothing for me.

          The plot is that Kevin is back in town, and Steven is dead set on getting revenge on him…for some reason. As I said in my review of The New Lars, Steven has always been a character who sees the good in everyone, even people like Lars or Ronaldo. Here, from minute one, he’s fully convinced that Kevin is a completely bad person, despite having only one negative experience with him in the past. It would’ve made more sense to have Connie be the one who wanted revenge, and Steven was trying to justify him, only for it to be revealed that Kevin is really an overall bad guy at the end.

          So Steven and Connie fuse into Stevonnie to challenge him to a race in Greg’s new car, down what must be the longest mountain trail in the world. It doesn’t look that big in the art, and they’re able to get out and talk for a few minutes while Kevin speeds ahead, and yet they’re still able to catch up to him. Doesn’t make much sense, but it’s a cartoon, so I can forgive it.

          So they race Kevin, and they lose, but Steven learns that jerks like Kevin aren’t worth his time. It’s definitely a good lesson to teach kids, especially those dealing with bullies or mean teachers. It’s really something I wish I could’ve heard when I was the target demographic for this show.

          This episode had some other good aspects as well. Greg got a few funny lines, and the backgrounds and car animation, while not exactly the show’s best, looked really nice. Overall, though, I felt that this episode was little more than an excuse to give Stevonnie a second speaking role. Perhaps next time we’ll get a new story instead of the same thing again.

FINAL SCORE
3/10

Bad

          So that’s all for this week! It really was a mixed bag. We got two excellent episodes, two decent episodes, and two bad episodes. I hope next week will be a little better in terms of quality. See you Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment